My Stamping Corner

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Cinema Saturday Challenge #86!


As guest designer for this week's Cinema Saturday Challenge, I am privileged to announce this weeks movie: "Bend it Like Beckham"!!  "Bend it Like Beckham" is a heartwarming movie about a teenage girl who is struggling with her Indian traditions and her dream of becoming a world-class soccer player. In the movie, Jess, the main character (played by Parminder K. Nagra), is befriended by another girl, Jules (played by Keira Knightly), who recruits her to play on a real soccer team, gives her support and encouragement, and shares her love of the game. The relationship of these two girls is where I got the inspiration for my card. Even though Jess has a real sister in the movie, the ‘sisterhood’ bond that stood out and inspired me was the one between Jess and Jules. I don’t think you have to be blood sisters to feel the bond of sisterhood!

The challenge requirement this week, along with inspiration from the movie, is to create a card in any shape other than A2!! These days I pretty much always do square cards so this was right up my alley!! :) I used another image from Mo's Digital Pencil: 'Sisters'.  As soon as I saw this image, I knew it was the perfect one for this challenge! I usually like to start with my background paper and color to coordinate with that, but this time I just started coloring and then had to hunt to find some paper. :)  I'm not very adept at Copics yet, but decided to give them a try for this challenge. It worked pretty well, but the color I used for the older girl's top just wasn't working...so I fixed it by paper piecing with a coordinating paper - ooaallaa!!  A little shading with my Prismacolor pencils and blending with OMS completed the coloring portion. The background paper was so 'busy' that I didn't want to add too much in the way of embellishment, so I just used some paper lace in one strip then scrunched some of that same paper lace to form a backing for my hand written sentiment: "My sister, my friend".  I found a few sentiments that I liked.....
"Sisters are blossoms in the garden of life"
"A true sister is a friend who listens with her heart"
"A sister is one who reaches for your hand and touches your heart"
"A sister is a forever friend"

but ended up with the short and sweet, 'My sister, my friend'. I added a couple of Dew Drops to the bottom and some Star Dust Stickles (the best Stickles color in my opinion because it just adds sparkle, not color!) to the blue shoes, barrette & to the lace around the sentiment....there's just something I can't resist about adding some "sparkle"!!


I hope you like my card and that you'll be inspired to play along this week in the Cinema Saturday Challenge!!  It's a lot of fun....and YOU could be the next winner of the "Audrey Award"!!

Have a great 4th of July weekend!!  Great big{{hugs}} to all my sisters/friends!!

1 comments:

Nancy K said...

Beautiful card! I LOVE how you pieced the shirt and shaded it -genius!